Her Campus Media (HerCampus.com), the #1 new media brand for the empowered college woman & leading college marketing firm, is seeking a forward-thinking, strategic, creative-yet-analytical Managing Editor to manage the editorial and social teams, grow our traffic and followings, oversee special editorial projects, and serve as the editorial leader within the company, reporting directly to the co-founder/CEO/Editor-in-Chief. A creative and nimble start-up culture, an A+ team of editors to manage, and sky's-the-limit opportunities for growth make this role an ideal opportunity for a capable self-starter who is passionate about women's media, editorial and social media strategy, and managing a team, and who is excited and ready to move into a leadership and management role within the editorial world. Most importantly, candidates must be driven by Her Campus's mission of serving college women and serving as a career launching pad for the nation's top student journalists.
This position can be based in our Boston office or remotely from NYC.
Responsibilities are as follows:
- Senior-level, holistic oversight and development of editorial strategy and content on HerCampus.com and all social media platforms
- Manage editorial and social media team (4+ people)
- Analyze and optimize across content verticals/types, optimizing for traffic/followers, engagement, and brand perception
- Player/coach structure that includes doing your own editing in addition to managing team of editors
- Concept, oversee, and execute large-scale editorial projects
- Develop new sell-able editorial opportunities for clients, in concert with business development and integrated marketing teams
- Stay up-to-date on industry/competitor landscape and trends, to ensure Her Campus is at the forefront of doing new and innovative things with our content
- Conduct high-profile interviews; represent Her Campus at high-level industry events
- Significantly grow traffic and social media following, hitting determined goals
- Bachelor's degree
- 5-8+ years of full-time editorial/social media experience, preferably in women's digital media
- 2-3+ years management experience
- Strong background in both editorial and social media
- Proven record of achieving and surpassing traffic and social growth goals
- Ability to work collaboratively with other departments such as sales & marketing and design
- Thorough command of traffic analytics through platforms like Google Analytics and Chartbeat
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Superb writing and editing skills
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Quick and efficient worker with ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects at once
- Excellent phone, in-person, and email communication skills
- Ability to function autonomously and complete projects and tasks without close management and supervision
- Self-starter with go-getter attitude, positive and upbeat nature, and excellent work ethic who doesn’t mind getting his/her hands dirty and is excited about working in a start-up environment
- Passion for Her Campus, our mission, our audience of college women, and the job of serving as the company's editorial lead, growing our traffic and social footprint, elevating our brand, and leading our team of editors
This is a full-time salaried position that includes a base salary plus opportunities for performance bonuses, with benefits including top of the line Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance, dental and vision insurance, 401k plan with company matching, flexible sick leave, vacation and personal day policy, extremely generous company holiday policy, summer Fridays, and fun yet focused dog-friendly office environment.
This is an opportunity to join a fast-growing, women-owned-and-operated start-up and gain high-level experience as the most senior member of the editorial team running one of the most popular sites for Gen Z and millennial women.
Please note: Her Campus Media hopes to recruit and advance minorities, women, LGBTQ+, persons with disabilities, and veterans—we welcome and encourage all applicants. Our goal is for our team and culture to reflect the diversity of the global community of women we serve.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, links to 3 relevant writing clips or projects you've overseen, and salary history. Please also include whether you are applying for this position based in our office in Boston or on a remote basis from NYC.